Re: Technique Reducing The Need For In-Your-Face URLs

It took me a while to figure out what "in your face" URLs are; if
you are going to use this kind of slang, please explain it up
front?

At 06:11 PM 1/17/2001 , Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>on this subject [1]. Note that DanC originally cited TimBL's discussion
>about not showing the mechanisms of WWW systems [2]. The best argument for
>using in-your-face-URL's was that people printing the documents out might
>require the links to be shown; good point. While this is still impossible
>to achieve on most older browsers, newer CSS compliant ones can utilise a
>handy hackaround.

Why not do it the other way around, and make the "in your face"
URLs something which disappears for "screen" use?

That said, I think that (a) this isn't really an accessibility issue,
at least not as pertains to people with disabilities [hoo boy I
can feel William yelling at me already], (b) the "principle" may be
one that appeals to various sainted personages but I don't see it
as being necessarily carved in stone, and (c) there are a number of
cases besides printing where you might want to reveal a URL, such
as if you expect something to be cut-and-pasted into email frequently
and you don't want to lose specific URL citations.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                http://kynn.com/
Technical Developer Relations, Reef           http://www.reef.com/