Re: Comments on 12 January 2001 WCAG 2.0

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:57:50 -0800
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Cc: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
At 10:44 AM 1/16/01 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:

>    "If your content might disorient the user
>     (e.g., due to blinking or animations),
>     ensure that the user can control the
>     disorienting content, or provide an
>     alternative that will allow the user
>     to concentrate on the important content."

I would really like to enlist Al Gilman in crafting the "control" language.
My goal is to transcend the "user as PWD" aspect and concentrate on the
"rights" of every user to be, in principle and fact, the ultimate arbiter
of things controllable. Users and their agents/environments are whom we
ally with - it will make them better authors!

A (the?) fundamental function/goal/duty of any "performer" is to serve the
audience.

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE