Re: Semantic pragmatic

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:14:53 -0700
To: dd@w3.org, "seeman" <seeman@netvision.net.il>
Cc: "_W3C-WAI Web Content Access. Guidelines List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org
At 10:43 AM 6/27/01 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>like me who have problem understanding idioms/expressions

One of the problems is that users of "I blew my top" are frequently unaware
that it's idiomatic. When we tell a blind guy "its' the blue one right over
there" we succumb to this feature. "But it is the blue one!"

How do we remember that there is a semantic tone to much of language that
is often opposite of what's said: "yeah, right!" meaning "wrong" but there
being decreasing-with-use/familiarity with that fact?

Is "pragmatics" an indispensable part of markup? It is clearly one of the
main barriers to machine translation and often the basis for much "ethnic
humor".

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE