Re: Semantic pragmatic

At 10:43 AM +0200 2001/6/27, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>  > E.g. <nonliteral translation="going from bad to worse"> out of the
>  > frying pan into the fire</nonliteral>
>Something like that (modulo the attribute design) would also benefit
>ESL (English as Second Language) like me who have problem
>understanding idioms/expressions usually learnt in the early ages of
>the native speakers.

On the other hand, it -does- place a very large burden on the author
to know which expressions learnt in the early ages might not be
understandable by any given audience.

It's hard to know what words are "okay to use" even if you're
talking about people who speak the same language -- e.g., from
different parts of the U.S., or U.S./England, etc.

--Kynn, wife is British

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/