Re: Revising 2.4 - last post before f2f

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:09:28 -0700
To: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On Wednesday 13 June 2001 00:24, Adam Victor Reed wrote:

> 2.4  If at all possible, allow time for understanding and interaction.
> 	* Move as much content and interaction as possible out of
> 	  time-limited segments.
> 	* Provide disabled users with a means to bypass or extend
> 	  time limits.
> 	* Use delayed refresh or redirection only when necessary to
> 	  bring content up to date.
> 	* Cooperate with user agent mechanisms for preventing motion
> 	  (flicker, blinking, flashing, auto-scrolling etc) and for
> 	  control of the rate at which motion occurs.

I would make the first sentence:

2.4  Allow as much time as possible for understanding and interacting with
content.

Using the conditional "if at all possible, allow time" has a weaker sound
than "allow as much time as possible".  Also, it's not helpful if the site
gives you only five seconds to request a time extension..

Also, what does it mean to "Cooperate with user agent mechanisms for
preventing motion . . ." in the absence of such mechanisms?  I can envision a
site claming that the absence of a "stop GIF animation and <marquee>" button
in MSIE is a UA problem, and it's not the site's fault there's no UA
mechanism with which to cooperate.

Regards,
--
Thanasis Kinias
Vice President & Manager of Information Systems