WAI Glossary comparison with ANSI "standard definitions"

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 02:11:31 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "WAI Cross-group list" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Source for ANSI "Standard Definitions" is:

American National Standard Dictionary of Information Technology (ANSDIT)

     http://www.ncits.org/tc_home/k5htm/ANSDIT.htm

Definitions therein cover a much wider set of information processing
terms (like "chad"). Those definitions are still evolving. They do not
cover accessibility terms very well. I guess the overlap is about 10%
each way. We may be able to expand their coverage to include terms used
in the WAI guidelines.

With a more expansive effort, all W3 TR glossary terms might be submitted
as candidates for inclusion in the ANSDIT set.

One problem with encouraging ANSDIT to include WAI/W3 glossary terms is
the lethargy in evolving their definitions. I suspect that the ANSI/ISO
process rules apply: revise at least every five years!

I enclose my review of the WAI GL terms, with injections of terms from
the ANSDIT set:

     dfnaug.txt

This is a text file, not an HTML file, as I distinguish source by indentation
for (just) the WAI GL terms and flush-left for the terms from ANSDIT.
I did not repeat the GL definitions. For those, consult the latest version:

    http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/Glossary/printable.html

Regards/Harvey Bingham