Re: Comments on PDF Techniques doc

From: Loretta Guarino Reid <lguarino@Adobe.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:31:30 -0700
To: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
cc: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, ryladog@earthlink.net, kshea@apollo.fedworld.gov, lguarino@Adobe.COM, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
I feel the PDF techniques belong in WCAG rather than ATAG because
we are describing what should be true of the PDF file for it to
be accessible. It should be possible to measure whether a PDF file
satisfies the WCAG requirements, no matter what application was
used to generate it.

It may be stretching the parallel, but some HTML is generated by
programs and some is hand edited, but we still describe what should
be true about the resulting content.

It is possible to fix some, but not all, of the properties described in these
techniques using tools in Acrobat 5. For instance, an author could
add Alt tags and fix errors in the logical structure.

Loretta