Re: What is illustrated

From: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 13:03:45 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
> The textual content then flows as
>
>   [Picture of George Washington] George Washington in the French and
>   Indian War
>
> I find this incongruous, and would prefer to avoid it.  As I've tried
> to stress all along, I'm attempting (wherever possible) to offer the
> text-mode reader a full-valued text document which carries the
> author's intentions - and not a mere second-best description of a
> visual experience.

This is interesting - I find the above example to be exactly what I
want to read, since it gives me a better sense of the author's
intentions than the alternative:

    [Picture] George Washington in the French and Indian War

- which tells me nothing about what might be in the picture (battle
scene? campaign map? who knows.) I really want to know why the more
specific text might be "incongruous" for some readers.

--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.