Re: Just what you wanted a new check piont

From: Lisa Seeman <seeman@netvision.net.il>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:55:51 +0200
To: "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>, "WAI" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

>Dumb question, why are the vowels usually omitted in Hebrew and
>Arabic?  What is the cultural basis for doing so?  Not sure I understand
>_why_ this happens.

Speed and ease. Specifying the vowels and pronunciation involves writing
three or four dot around many letters. most letters require about two dots
added.
Imagine writing fast in script and adding the two dot, in, on top or under
each letter.
In terms of typography it is also (obviously) much slower.

For most people (don't you hate that  term)  it is not much of a problem.
People visually remember the word, and  recognize it when it reapers without
vowels. When the same letters are used in two words, people guess through
the content. Young children's books' have vowels, as do street signs, but
that is about it.

Let me tell you - It is a problem for me.
In the mean time the event I have been dreading has happened. Access-Israel,
the accessibility advocates in Israel, have asked me to make their site
accessible.
Any volunteers?
Lisa