Accessibility of ALT texts

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:27:43 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Not sure if you are the right person to ask, but is there any work being
done in the CSS or WAI WGs about this?

By default, the ALT text displayed while an image is loading is pretty small
in most browsers, and it occurs to me that either by giving a guideline for
user agents, or by defining a CSS pseudo-class on IMG (and perhaps one for
tooltip-style descriptions), it would be possible to allow page authors to
make pages more accessible. I realise that assistive technology doesn't
require human-readable text, but it would improve things a lot for those
people with less-than-perfect acuity, who do not need the page to be read to
them.

Kind regards,

Lois Wakeman

http://lois.co.uk