Re: what type of document do we want?

Thanks, William,

	Hopefully we can craft guidelines that point people in the right
direction. To make it difficult or impossible for someone who puts no
thought to illustrating a site outside the "accessible" label. Most of my
suggestions are for some sort of symbol which could be an icon, earcon,
hapticon (that means touchable, right?) so that any means of access will
yield the symbol ... No, I don't want to write the symbols and agree that
any attempt to impose them (other than what seems to be already evolving,
such as the speaker thingy for sound) would be counter-productive. Look at
the metrics effort as an example, as well as Esperanto (I knew a few people
who learned it!) ...

	For now, we need to be able to tell people to adopt common symbols within
their site, and as more sites do, a commonality will develop, which may be
global or it may be regional ... A speaker may be any of several styles of
"speaker", as long as it has some indication of "stuff" coming from it ---
they don't have to all be yellow speakers!

						Anne

PS: Even tho we are a K-2 school, we sold several copies of the Helen
Keller book at our book fair two weeks ago ... seems children see a movie
they like, then want to read the book ... some of our children bought the
book because a sibling asked for it... others, because they could read it
and wanted to. It was heart-warming to see each of those purchases! One of
the children who started reading it told me that Helen could see and hear
for the first couple of years of life, which I didn't know! I've read more
about Sullivan than Helen herself ...

At 08:26 AM 4/4/01 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>At 06:38 AM 4/4/01 -0400, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>>http://users.erols.com/stevepem/guidelines/whitehouse.html
>
>Right on.
>
>Just as WAI has spawned a new industry of "accessibilizing" the Web you've
>created a huge demand for designers to provide the now-doubled effort to
>make all this stuff *truly* accessible. And the key is to have a checkpoint
>saying something like "provide appropriate illustrative adjuncts to all
>content" - which of course includes icons/earcons/illustrations.
>
>I am not being sarcastic when I say that what you propose here is likely to
>be what many of us will be doing for some time to come. Anyone herein who
>has done any of the proposed illustrational decisions/implementations/tests
>knows that until there are widely accepted icons (like the "speaker" to
>indicate a sound resource - does it have a musical note if it's not just
>talk?) and earcons [might also need hapticons?], there are countless
>meetings/conferences/seminars to make a fully "ideophonohaptographic"
>presentation both i18n and WAI compliant.
>
>This universality cannot be imposed from some centralized hierarchical
>entity as was attempted with Esperanto or Bliss Symbols - and in our time
>English.
>
>Multimedia is not just a plaything to be used for selling deodorant pads,
>it is a key to universal communication.
>
>Helen Keller lives!
>
>--
>Love.