Re: Please review: slight modifcation to proposal

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:51:51 -0400
To: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
CC: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

> Slight modification:

> information. [Priority 2] This checkpoint is strongly tied to checkpoint 11.1.
> Note: Until style and graphic markup languages are more common, minimize
> the use of text in images. For example, use HTML text styled with CSS.
> Choose common fonts (such as Arial and Times) that can be rendered using
> CSS. You may use text in images for logos and limited accent elements where
> specialized fonts and text treatments are required and cannot be achieved
> with CSS.
>
> As I stated in my previous message, if there is no new information on this
> topic please do not respond. We will discuss this at tomorrow's teleconference.

CLARIFICATION:

This revision conveys part of the message of the current 3.1; the Note
does not convey the part about "style sheets to format text
and control layout". This isn't so bad since that requirement is covered
by
checkpoint 3.3. Therefore I recommend in a clarification to WCAG 1.0
that the clause "use style sheets to format text and control layout
[rather than images]" be moved to 3.3 as an example.

 - Ian

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783