RE: Baseline capabilities

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:09:54 -0700
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Defining a set of baseline capabilities -- either as a result of
current browser/AT listing or by creating a hypothetical browser
spec -- is going to be counter to the notion that accessibility
provides benefits beyond -just- users with disabilities, and it
is going to tie our output to a (hopefully) dying technology which
should be left behind in the 20th century where it belongs --
the desktop machine and associated desktop browser.

In other words, I feel that this exercise, while it might be
useful as an in-group way of getting a feel for what's really out
there (always a useful thing to do), may turn out to ultimately
be harmful to the adoption of this guideline document if it is
explicitly used to formulate our document.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/