Re: Terminology revisited

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:22:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
cc: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On the one hand I agree that this is hardly the most important question we
are going to face this week. On the other hand, I find it difficult to
understand why we would change the terminology, and confusing when I am
trying to discuss the different versions (especially outside this group, for
example giving presentations).

So my line in the sand ius that we should use the old terminology.

I think we have come from 14 guidelines and 68 checkpoints to about half a
dozen guidelines and about 25 checkpoints, and that somewhere around those
numbers is a much better place to be.

I agree that we need a layer of examples, and of techniques for meeting the
checkpoints with respect to a given technology or situation (as I wrote
earlier, we will never have a situation where all
checkpoints/requirements/wkrstfgs are relevant to all situations), and that
they need to be fluid, and developed as the technology develops.

Charles McCN