Re: Terminology

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:13:59 +1000 (EST)
To: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
What I am arguing is that the meanings have already shifted and that we
need to make the best of the new situation. Checkpoints used to be (in
WCAG 1.0) largely, but not entirely technology-specific; the Techniques
were merely explanations and examples of the checkpoints in many, though
not all, cases. Recent discourse within the working group has reflected
the ambiguity by referring to "technology-specific" checkpoints".

We need to clarify the terminology, either by using "checkpoint" to mean a
technology-specific requirement, or a general strategy of accessible
design which, though not at the most abstract level, is stated at a level
of specificity that allows concrete implementation strategies to follow
from it.