Re: A proposal for changing the guidelines

From: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:30:00 -0800 (PST)
To: phoenixl@netcom.com, robneff@home.com, unagi69@concentric.net
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Hi, Rob

Actually, this isn't that bad.  The name of the key being used is
listed at the very beginning of the page so that it need not
be a standard key.

However, a standard key would be desirable if possible.  There are only
two browsers which support Javascript.  I've found that the ctrl-z key
works on both for this purpose.  It might mean doing some outreach
to the browser developers to ask that the ctrl-z key be kept free.

If this isn't possible, the second approach, though less desirable would be
to identify a particular key per browser.

Scott

PS  A trick I've used when coding keyboard events in Javascript is to use a
look-up table to convert keys into functions.  It makes the code much simpler to
change.  It also supports multiple versions of keyboard events.