Re: A proposal for changing the guidelines

i also agree with Nir, in that universal design is independent of the state,
that is server or client-side - the goal is to ensure the user gets what
they need.  this is done several ways:
1.  Server side processing of requests that generate or spit out HTML pages
per universal design.  These are produced by dynamic low-end solutions or
via middleware, and
2.  Client-side efforts that can be turned off or rendered through other
means.  But a form can be processed via server-side if client is turned off.

So in effect if i use personalization and content management software, then
you can subscribe to a service. Where you can be a PWD with different
profile.  This could be an effective means.  As software and content
delivery becomes more sophisticated, it is a way to reach a broader
audience - as based upon guidelines.  There are already subscription
services that broker credit card payment and this could be a similar service
for a protal.

I disagree, I do not think server side solutions will wreak havoc with
accessibility validators.  Validators must be tuned to meet requirements to
meet demand.  The fact that it is a free service is a question, that is, can
it meet demand or do we need to find someone to modify it on a continual
basis.  For example, macromedia flash, where we now use ALT tags, or server
side validation.  A standard or technique to be implemented would be for
form validation to use bold and asterick for mandatory items, and upon
validation a plus sign and red bold for invalid entries.  You can still use
javascript but wold not need to use <NOSCRIPT> if it is validated on server
side.

Client-side valisdation increase download time and server side validation
increases server processing time.  How you chose to implement this is an
operations issue dependent upon your server configuration (one, two or three
tier, processor and traffic for both normal and the unexpected spike)

I agree with item 4 and 5.  Please go to
http://www.webspots.net/WCAG_Checklist-understand.htm and view.  May I
suggest you click on
http://www.webspots.net/WCAG_Checklist/WCAG_Matrix-rating_sheet.xls and use
the checkpoint list to comment.