Re: A proposal for changing the guidelines

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:42:28 -0500 (EST)
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
cc: Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, gv@trace.wisc.edu, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
WAI PF has looked at Xlink.

extended XLinks will (at some point in the not-too-distant unless you are
waiting for it future) provide a very good mechanism. Also a good way of
including multimedia along with various types of alternatives.

Chaals

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Jon Gunderson wrote:

  > I think one issue that is critical for the web content group to address in
  > the next version and has dependencies with other WAI working groups is
  > developing standard markup techniques that can be used to generate
  > navigational cues to the content of  a web page.  There are alot of
  > internal links in the current web content techniques document to the
  > navigation section of the document[1], but there are no concrete examples
  > (at least that I saw in that section) of how to include navigation
  > information in an HTML document.  I think there needs to be some consensus
  > of the technique (or techniques) to mark navigation bars and other logical
  > units commonly found on www pages.  I think some of the templates published
  > by charles [2] for the authoring tools working group is attempting to do
  > this, but I there needs to be guidiance in the web content documents so
  > that authors are all using the same markup techniques.

  Has the WAI PF done a review of XLink and the possibilities it
  offers for identifying navigation mechanisms? The 21 Feb draft [1]
  is in last call until 20 March 2000. In particular, section 3.5 on
  semantic attributes [2]. I am woefully uninformed on what features
  of XLink might help UAs identify navigation bars, etc.

   - Ian.

  [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xlink-20000221
  [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-semantics
  Tel:                         +1 831 429-8586
  Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783