Re: proposed clarification of TABLE caption, title, and summary for the techniques document

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:01:07 +1100 (EST)
To: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Wendy's proposal is a clear and reliable reflection of the consensus
achieved in today's meeting. A few suggestions, embodying my own opinions
rather than group consensus:

1. If a caption is not provided, include a TITLE and a SUMMARY.

2. A summary is particularly useful if the table conveys complex
relationships that would not be obvious when presented in a serial medium
such as speech, even if the relevant headers are read prior to each data
cell. This could perhaps be made clearer, for the benefit of authors who
are trying to decide whether or not to write a summary; I would suggest
adding this at the start of the discussion.