Re: UI Design Update newsletter - December, 1999

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <jay@peepo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 19:13:54 -0000
To: "Ian Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: <po@trace.wisc.edu>, "GL - WAI Guidelines WG (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, <hfi@humanfactors.com>
I am somewhat at a loss to reply to your comment on whitespace.

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D. Fw an email (29/12/99) concerning

>What research-based guidelines are available for designing websites?.....
>The focus was on using research-based information to improve the user
interfaces of websites. ....

within:
>PAGE DESIGN -- SPECIFIC
it was stated:
>DO minimize the use of 'white space' in search tasks.

It is not clear what the meaning or intention (of 'use' and "search tasks")
is.

However in my experience no search engine provides sufficient white space
for people with cog-dif.
WWW.google.com homepage is close to ideal.

unfortunately there remains the problem that the browser window also has a
place to enter keywords.
this (also) confuses people of normal ability, when new to browsing.

If I have misunderstood the intended meaning, it may be that this bullet
point needs rephrasing.

Ian perhaps we could (need to) develop the theme of whitespace and its use
in the
guidelines?