Re: background images

From: <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:09:50 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
cc: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

I agree that we need to cover this potential problem - using images that
contain information as backgrounds.  I would recommend that we add
"backgrounds" to the WCAG checkpoint 1.1 wording and an HTML/CSS technique
be added to something to the effect of the following:

WCAG 1.1: ...This includes: images, images of text and symbols, image map
regions, backgrounds, animations ...

Technique
     If the background includes information in an image
     and the information is important
     then insure the information is found elsewhere on the foreground of
the page

Rationale
     Background images can be turned off
          people with low-vision and cognitive disabilities may turn off
background images for improved readability

Testing
     Using a graphical browser:
          Turn off background images - is the information still available
on the foreground of the page?
     Using a non-graphical browser (text-only, voice, etc.)
          Load the page - is the information still available?

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
IBM Accessibility Center - Special Needs Systems
http://www.ibm.com/able