Server-side image map coordinates [Was: Re: Request from Content working group]

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:44:42 -0400
To: Dick Brown <dickb@microsoft.com>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Dick Brown wrote:

> I promised the Content group I would send the User Agent group this
> question:
>
> -------------------
> Do user agents generate a 0,0 to the server if an area on a server-side
> image map is not selected?

What do you mean by "not selected"? What causes the coordinates to
be sent to the server?

> We would like to know if redundant text links could be returned if a server
> receives 0,0 but are not sure if
> all browsers generate it.

Whether they generate it or whether they should are, as usual,
distinct questions. From the HTML 4.01 specification, section 13.6.2
[1]:

   User agents that do not offer the user a means to select
   specific coordinates (e.g., non-graphical user agents that rely on
   keyboard input, speech-based user agents, etc.) should send the
   coordinates "0,0" to the server when the link is activated.

Is this your goal?

 - Ian

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/objects.html#h-13.6.2
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783