Re: A Fresh Look at Accommodating Cognitive Disabilities

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:51:39 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
CMcCN:: "Anyone been to a lecture where the presenter just spoke, with
no  visual aids, and found it difficult to access the content"

WL: Although Gregory can answer this a little better than I, the answer
is that *unexplained* visual aids might be as confusing (difficult) and
frustrating. Retinal input is unarguably effective but it requires
enormous training that is often ignored in discussions of this kind.
Just as unillustrated speech might be "difficult", so undefined (I think
that implies, even requires something like "text") visual communication
might be confusing/ineffective/diversive. Although it may be true that
we are what we eat, it is not clear that the world *is* what we see.

--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE