RE: Some concrete suggestions Re: Cognitive issues (was Re: woodcutter)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 05:48:57 -0400 (EDT)
To: Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org>
cc: Chuck Hitchcock <chitchcock@cast.org>, Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
That's the basic idea. (Even people can provide an icon though - for example,
a photograph of me might mean me, whereas a drawing of a person probably
wouldn't).

Charles

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:

  At 02:40 AM 4/7/00 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  >Another thing that seems pretty concrete (and was first proposed by Jonathan
  >months ago):
  >
  >Designate an image as a link for a website. For many companies this is easy-
  >they already use a logo graphic throughout their site as a link to the front
  >of it.

  Do you mean that companies can provide the image as metadata for their
  site? Then the search engines or browsers showing links as text to the
  sites could alternative provide the image? And that could be controlled by
  the user settings?

  Companies who provide the image would have the benefit of being more easily
  spotted from a long list of links. So they probably would like to do that.

  Marja