Re: Breaking it Down: Types of Cognitive Disabilities

Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> >CD requires an overall generalisation, and we can perhaps apologise for how
> >little has been achieved.
>
> This "apologize" attitude, though, is bullsh*t.  For god's sake,
> man, quit insulting those of us who are trying to work with you
> on a solution, and stop harping on the idea that there's an
> intentional attempt to disenfranchise people.
>
> The -only- disenfranchisement that I've seen on this issue have
> been the number of people who your attitude has turned off, and are
> thus unwilling to work with you on this, and are waiting for a
> better spokesman for the needs of CD users to come along.  I'm not
> in that category myself (yet?), but little tricks such as suggesting
> an "apology" should be made contribute very little to solving
> this problem.

Hi folks,

I agree with Kynn that we are here to meet the needs of
all users with disabilities. If we have not done so to date,
it is certainly not out of ill will, and therefore I don't
think apologies are required. It is more likely that other
constraints, including human resources, time, and
understanding the problems, have prevented us
from doing more (and more is clearly required).

I personally cannot apologize for being busy trying to
produce three Recommendations to promote the accessibility
of the Web. I am convinced that all of us here are just
as dedicated and just as busy. There is more work to be
done, notably on CD, and the WG has been expending considerable
energy and bandwidth to improve the situation.

Please continue to use the list to promote and exchange
ideas so that more can be done for the communities we
are trying to serve. If you want to address extra-professional
issues, please do so off the list with the Chairs or the
W3C Team members in this Working Group.

Thank you,

 - Ian

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783