Breaking it Down: Types of Cognitive Disabilities

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:15:59 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Can someone provide a roughly comprehensive list of cognitive
disability types and what problems those people might have in
accessing information?  For example:

DISABILITY           ACCESS PROBLEM

Dyslexia             May not be able to read words quickly and
                      may not be able to enter text (such as in
                      search boxes) without misspellings

etc.

Note that I'm not a dyslexia expert so the above entry is probably
WRONG, it's an example of the type of information I'd like to see
listed.

(The next step in the chart above, of course, would be a third
column that describes how we can best address those access problems
and solve them!)

How many types of users are we grouping together when we glibly use
the term "CD"?  That's what I need to know...

--Kynn

Director of Accessibility, edapta                  http://www.edapta.com/
AWARE Center Director                         http://www.awarecenter.org/
Next of Kynn: a quasi-regular web log           http://www.kynn.com/next/