Re: techniques for tables (clarifying how to handle nested tables for the ER group)

Al Gilman wrote:

> [Distribution note:  I am sending this separately to ER-IG, GL, UA, PF, and
> CG lists because it touches all their turf.  That is too many to
> cross-post.  Consult your chairs for how we coordinate follow-up.]
[snip]
> Warning:  There is a big issue here where I have been asleep at the switch.
>  This is that RDF is indeed already a W3C recommendation, so the use of RDF
> as the medium for annotations which are:
>
> a) advisory in nature, because they are
> b) from a third-party source and not the document author
>
> is technically superior and hence support for some such encoding should be
> on our list of things we want UAs to implement and future content
> guidelines to explain.

[snip]
> Large UA issue:  What support for RDF do we ask for?

The WG discussed what type of support for RDF and metadata
in general UAs should provide. This was considered
due to checkpoint 13.2 of WCAG:

   "Provide metadata to add semantic information
   to pages and sites."

The result of discussions was: implement the spec. We couldn't
come up with any Guidelines-level requirements since metadata
could be used for everything.

For discussions, refer to issue #72 [2] and the 15 September
resolution (from minutes [3]):

      Resolved: Include as techniques.

Marja, Jim Allan, Charles, and myself were asked to provide
links to sources of metadata in various specs (HTML, SMIL,
CSS, Schemas). Links to those resolutions are in [3].

Refer also to minutes of 9 September GL meeting [4] where
we said about metadata:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
9. CMN will take the issue regarding meta data to PF
  (see list of potential strategies).
  CMN: no consensus on meta data in PF yet.
  WC: should GL and PF get together to discuss this?
  CMN: Yes.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Have I succeeded in closing the loop? <wink>

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505
[2] http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#72
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/1999/09/wai-ua-telecon-19990915.html#action
[4] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/meetings/19990909.html
Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783