Re: Technique 5.6 (abbr in TH)

Pardon me if I put my response at the top.  GL and PF readers, please skip
to the quote to get the context.  I will send separate copies to those two
lists.

This discussion is a useful clarification.

Perhaps we can clarify it just a hair more.

I see action items for GL, ER, and PF coming out of this.

First, a possible clarification:

Note that while the ABBR attribute on TH cells in HTML4 is likely to
generate something unfortunate for speech rendering unless the author is
well coached, it is easy to see how an abbreviation could be beneficial for
Braille rendering.

Let me jump to the PF agenda.  What we need as a reference model for future
[XML applications] format accessibility is
a) the idea of providing both short and long alternatives
b) a formal indication that the two alternatives are [roughly] equivalent
c) hopefully, a semantic model that makes it clear the relationship in b)
is the same relationship regardless of whether the author has used the long
or short alternative in the primary view of the content which is defined by
the author's encoding of the document.

We need to have a way of recognizing that there is one and the same
semantic relationship which fits to the syntax in reverse order in two
places in HTML4:
a) in the ABBR element it is the relationship of TITLE attribute to content,
b) in the TH element it is the relationship of content to ABBR attribute.

Hopefully in PF we can use RDF technology to create not just a natural
language observation to this effect, but a machine-interpretable encoding
of this fact.

Now, to turn to the GL impact.  It would be good to have the two scenarios
Gregory laid out both exposed in the WCAT.

And finally, the ER impact:  There may be room for a 'hint' raising the
possibility of adding an ABBR on TH if the TH is long, but it should not be
presented to the author as a 'correction.'

At 11:06 PM 11/23/99 -0500, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> [...]

>-- begin excerpt from 22 November ER-IG Teleconference
>CR: Technique 5.6: Abbreviations for Header Labels; if have table header
>that has short word as header, don't need ABBR, but if have verbose header,
>may need ABBR
>
>LK: what does the GL actually say -- does it use the word abbreviations or
>ABBR?
>
>MC: note mentions HTML's ABBR attribute
>
>LK: on face of it, could this mean that GLs are wrongly interpreting ABBR?
>
>CR: [reads technique for checkpoint from WCAG]
>
>LK: does WCAG have it backwards? what is the purpose of this checkpoint,
>and what do they mean by ABBR?
>
>MC: what exactly is the purpose of ABBR in general?
>
>GJR: I think that they mean that if you are using an abbreviation in a
>header, enclose it in an ABBR container if you are using HTML; ABBR is
>important for accessibility because screen readers, for example, usually
>come with a set of abbreviation expansions that have been pre-defined for
>the screen reader's dictionary, so that, for example, when the screen
>reader encounters "Dr." it can expand it to either "Drive" (as in an
>address) or "Doctor"; if you have an address such as:
>       Dr. Smith
>      11 Doe Dr.
>a screen reader might read it as "Drive Smith, 11 Doe Drive"; by using the
>ABBR element in HTML, however, an author could enclose each instance of the
>abbreviation "d r period" in an ABBR, defining the word "Doctor" as the
>expansion for the first instance and "Drive" as the expansion for the
>second, so as to pass on to the AT the correct expansion for 2 identical
>abbreviations; the ABBR element, therefore, allows for the
>contextualization of abbreviations, and as such is of inestimable utility
>for accessibility, as well as for anyone indulging in mobile computing
>
>MC: ok, that explains the HTML element ABBR, but what about this checkpoint?
>
>LK: WCAG says use terse abbreviation
>
>GJR: my understanding of the purpose of the checkpoint is that an author
>may want to use an abbreviation for a header for formatting purposes, so
>that the table columns won't distort his or her desired layout or the
>perceived gracefulness of the table; if the author has a header that reads
>"Cost of Tractor Part 1294XRQ, model Z299, manufactured by General Motors'
>Construction Parts Plant in Gary, Indiana", he could: (1) abbreviate it, so
>as to keep the heading short and terse; (2) enclose the abbreviation in an
>ABBR, if using HTML, so that anyone using the page visually, can mouseover
>to expand the abbreviation, or, for someone using a screen reader in
>combination with a UA with ABBR expansion set to "on", the AT would speak
>the expanded ABBR when that user queries the header, so that he or she is
>returned something semantically sensible, rather than a short string of

>cryptic characters, such as "TP Z299"
>
>// ACTION GJR: ask GL WG for clarification on ABBR in header checkpoint in
WCAG