Re: Checkpoint 7.3 not covered in Technique 4.9 2

From: Wendy A Chisholm <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:07:29 -0500
To: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 03:26 PM 9/13/99 , Chuck Letourneau wrote:
>An oversight?
>
>Checkpoint 7.3 - "Until user agents allow users to freeze moving content,
>avoid movement in pages." points to section 4.9.2 - "Visual information and
>motion"
>in the Technique document.
>
>However, there is no mention of freezing motion in section 4.9.2.

yes, that is odd.  I don't have a good response.  We do seem to have
overlooked this.

>Was the intent of this checkpoint to require script or program writers to
>include a PAUSE/STOP control with their applets or plug ins that cause or
>allow moving content?

yes.  We used to discuss the example that we created of a java marquee that
could be paused.  it is still referenced from the "services" see
[TRACE]  The Trace Research & Development Center. Consult this site for a
variet of information about accessibility, including a scrolling Java
applet that may be frozen by the user.

>Are the STOP and PAUSE buttons on the QuickTime and RealPlayer consoles
>examples of this checkpoint and technique?

I would say yes.

I have added this issue to the open issues list for the Techniques document.

--w