Re: Content negotiation example needed.

At 11:21 AM 9/19/99 -0400, Nir Dagan wrote:
>One should be careful about the type of negotiation.
>
>For example most browsers DO send an accept- header that corresponds
>correctly
>to the images that they can handle internally, so negotiating GIF and PNG
>can be done and will work.

AG:

Yes.  But the problem is, the critical distinction here is in the domain
negotiated about, not the manner of conducting the negotiation.  The
difference between GIF and PNG at the user interface is nearly
imperceptible and the information added by moving from one to the other is
miniscule.  So it's fair to consider that only the tool cares and the user
can be oblivious without fear of contradiction.  When the difference is one
of natural language choice, there is often value added by having the user
access several if they are multilingual especially in the case where the
author and reader have different orders of language preference.  Here it is
essential that the user be fully informed and have the ultimate decision.

>We actually need to do a more carful research in what browsers support and
how
>concerning content negotiation and http.

Not just HTTP and browsers.  The leaders in implementing negotiation are
internet print and fax functions where HTTP is not a major player.  The Web
needs to be prepared to be a follower where the shoe fits.

Al