Re: mistake in web page

My suggestion would be to avoid confusing the reader:

"Synthesized speech is/may be critical for individuals who are
blind/visually impaired and for many people with reading difficulties that
often accompany cognitive disabilities and learning disabilities."

Speaking difficulties and deafness may or may not be present in persons
with cognitive disabilities and learning disabilities. Speech synthesis
isn't going to be of much help to the deaf, or to those with speech
impairments, so why confuse the reader by mentioning them.

				Anne

At 11:11 AM 8/31/1999 -0400, Chuck Letourneau wrote:
>I believe the intent here was to say something like:
>"Also, synthesized speech is (may be) critical for people with the speaking
>difficulties that sometimes accompany cognitive disabilities, learning
>disabilities (?), and deafness."
>
>Perhaps the confusion could be fixed simply by saying:
>"Synthesized speech is critical for individuals who are blind and for many
>people with the reading or speaking difficulties that often accompany
>cognitive disabilities, learning disabilities, and deafness." ,
>although this might be too convoluted to be entirely clear.
>
>Maybe a separate sentence is indeed needed.
>
>Regards,
>Chuck Letourneau
>
>At 30/08/99 11:03 AM , keren beth moses wrote:
>>
>>Here's one mistake in the w3c accessibility guidelines:
>>
>>"Synthesized speech is critical for individuals who are blind and for many
>>people with the reading difficulties that often accompany cognitive
>>disabilities, learning disabilities, and deafness."  (Guideline 1)
>>
>>Maybe just too much info in one sentence, but it implies that synthesized
>>speech is critical for the deaf.
>>
>>-- Keren
>>

>----
>Starling Access Services