Re: proposal for wording re: grouping links (WCAG techniques document)

Just a small technical thing. In the HTML DTD, the "name" attribute
is required for the map element, and is omitted in the example.
(The rational was that map is used with an image that references it.)

Regards,
Nir.

At 10:40 AM 8/30/99 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am responding to Charles' (CMN), Marja's, and Al's comments in this
message.

>CMN::
>>Sounds OK to me, except that <map>....</p> needs to be changed in the
>>example.
>>
>oops.
>
>CMN::
>>Actually I would suggest that we review our examples and make them into
XHTML
> [...]
>
>Another option is to use something short like "D" with the "title"
>attribute on the link.  I think we need to wait until UAs are making the
>"title" attribute available consistently, and heck, by then they'll
>probably be happily skipping around block content and we won't need that
>first link anyway!  <grin>
>

>Here's the revised proposal:
>
> 4.6.1 Grouping and bypassing links
>
> When links are grouped into logical sets (for example, a navigation bar
>that appears on every page in a site) they should be marked up as a unit.
>Navigation bars are usually the first thing someone encounters on a page.
>For users with speech synthesizers, this means hearing the same links on
>every page before reaching the interesting content of a page. Other
>keyboard users, such as some users with physical disabilities, will have to
> tab through all of these links to reach links further down the page. Note:
> this is not true for all browsers.
>
> We suggest using the MAP element with the "title" attribute to group and
>label the links. There are a number of techniques that may be used to allow
>users to jump past  the group of links.
>
>1. The first link in the group skips over the set of navigation links  when
>selected.
>2. Provide a style sheet that allows users to hide the set of navigation
>links.
>3. Provide a script that shows or hides the set of navigation links as
>desired by the user.
>
> The first option seems to be most backwards and forwards compatible. The
>other two options are not as backwards compatible  and will hopefully not
>be necessary in the future as we anticipate that user agents will allow
>users to skip over structural block elements such as  MAP or DIV.
>
> Example.
>
> In this example, the MAP element groups a set of links. The "title"
>attribute gives it a human readable label, which may be anything from
>"Credits," "QuickLinks around
>our site." The "class" attribute identifies  the group as a navigation bar
>(e.g., for style sheets). The link at the  beginning of the group  links to
>the anchor after the group.  This link will not be necessary once user
>agents allow users to jump over block content.
>
>     <HEAD>
>     <TITLE>How to use our site</TITLE>
>     </HEAD>
>     <BODY>
>       <MAP title="Site-wide navigation bar - 12 choices" class="nav">
>         [<A href="#how" title="Bypass the links you have seen on every
>other page and get right to the content.">Skip navigation bar.  Go to "how
>to use this site."</A>]
>         [<A href="home.html">Home</A>]
>         [<A href="search.html">Search</A>]
>         [<A href="new.html">New and highlighted</A>]
>         [<A href="sitemap.html">Site map</A>]
>         [ ... 8 other links ....]
>       </MAP>
>       <H1><A name="how" id="how">How to use our site</A></H1>

Nir Dagan
Assistant Professor of Economics
Brown University
Providence, RI