Proposal to broaden UA clause in checkpoint 1.5

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:03:55 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hello,

Checkpoint 1.5 of the WCAG 1.0 [1] reads:

         1.5 Until user agents render text equivalents
             for client-side image map links, provide
             redundant text links for each active region of
             a client-side image map. [Priority 3]

In the User Agent WG teleconf this week [2], we discussed
how the User Agent Guidelines should respond to this
requirement (refer to issue 73 [3]). The WG felt that
requiring "text equivalents" was overly restrictive as
a solution.

The goal, in fact, is for users to be able to activate links
in a device-independent manner. Rendering image maps
links as text is one way to allow desktop graphical
browsers in conjunction with dependent user agents
to provide access to links. But there may be other
ways, and the UA WG is exploring techniques on this subject.

I therefore propose the following rewording of checkpoint 1.5:

   Until user agents allow users to activate client-side
   image map links in an input device-independent manner,
   provide redundant text links for each
   client-side image map link.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0233.html
[3] http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#73

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814