From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
To: mozilla-rdf@mozilla.org
Cc: charles@w3.org
Subject: hiding / identifying HTML navigation

the (out of date) todo list at http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/ntd.html
says:
	Hiding html navigation

	Many pages have a simple html based sitemap which should be hidden if
	nav center is visible. The
	portion of html which should be hidden should be placed within
	<navigation>...</navigation>

	Need to hack the html parser (and/or layout engine) so that this portion
	of the html gets thrown out if
	the navcenter is open.

	Hiding html navigation

	Many pages have a simple html based sitemap which should be hidden if
	nav center is visible. The
	portion of html which should be hidden should be placed within
	<navigation>...</navigation>

	Need to hack the html parser (and/or layout engine) so that this portion
	of the html gets thrown out if
	the navcenter is open.

This is a bit, er, hacky. I think there was some discussion of using CSS
classes instead. The same thing is being discussed[1] by the Web
Accessibility Initiative[2] right now so if someone could point to any
more recent thinking on this I'd be grateful.

cheers,

Dan

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999JulSep/0289.html