RE: Cognition

From: Chuck Hitchcock <chitchcock@cast.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:02:58 -0400
To: "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Anne wrote:
>Children are likely to progress from text-to-speech to reading on
>their own when the content permits on their own, because once they can
>read, reading is faster than listening to the text read to them.

I suspect that you have not heard anyone who is blind using a flat,
non-expressive voice, at 500 words per minute.  Kids often try this too but it
is not unusual for kids using text-to-speech to gain access to subject area
content in spite of reading difficulties to move through the materials faster
than their reading peers.

I am not recommending it as an approach for speed, but it can be faster.  It
is not uncommon for middle school kids to set the reading rate to 225 or 250
words per minute.

Chuck