Re: Suggested issues that may be addressed in next version of guidelines

From: jonathan chetwynd <jonathan@signbrowser.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:22:11 +0100
To: "Chris Maden" <crism@oreilly.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
This is a complex subject.
as an analogy imagine taking a photo, now it does represent a part of
reality.
However if we insisted on understanding the semantics of images before using
it we would have problems.

It is a fact that images are more accessible than words to non readers.
To recommend their use is hardly controversial.

However to construct a theory of narrative use of images and its success
with LD is very difficult.
This is tantamount to predicting if a (film) story will be successful, and
this is notoriously difficult.
It has to amuse motivate educate and generally fit the needs of carer and
user, a tall order.

did you look at William Loughborough's reworking of the WAI homepage.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/WAI-home
Not to everyone's liking but definitely more accessible to many and I would
guess more people.

jay@peepo.com

a www for those learning to read.

Please send us links to your favourite websites.
Our site www.peepo.com is a drive thru.
When you see a link of interest, click on it.
Move the mouse to slow down.
It is a graphical aid to browsing the www.
We value your comments.