RE: Strategies for Disabled People

You have agreed on the "modal diversity" macro-principle.

For what it's worth, the Model:View:Controller concept set that the Java
people use in describing their world works well to help marry the index
cards that work with automated implementation.  The learning goals go in
the model, the ways to experience and master these goals are diverse and
spread by 'view' which are sampled and sequenced differently for different
"learning styles."

A learning style can be related to this kind of model as a natural gesture,
a pattern that includes a sequence of transactions.  People with a
particular learning style tend to absorb material better or faster when
they cover the bases in this order.  Each transaction is conducted in one
or another view but to make sure the student controls the [vocabulary of
the] model, they have to experience it in transactions through multiple
views and in situations where the view offers less and less in the way of
prompts or training wheels.

This last sentence illustrates another principle that I suspect you would
agree on, which I will term "even strain."

This is a term I learned from one of my Maine Yankee friends.  To take an
even strain on a rope means to apply useful force without killing yourself
or suddently falling over if the rope yields to your pull.  I claim it
represents Chuck's remarks about challenging the student just enough.
Don't fail to challenge them, don't leave them in the dust.  Teachers
understand the process of weaning students from props and helps, so that
they more deeply internalize the model and can operate more independently
across a wider domain of application.

There is a tension between building-in lots of helps that can be called up
at the reader's whim (such as we advocate in universal accessibility) and
maintaining an even strain in the sense of the teacher managing the degree
of challenge posed by the material presented to the student.

For a production-quality teaching system, it needs to make reasonable
accomodation by lateral mobility through the view diversity while still
preserving an even strain whether testing or just presenting material for
the student to learn.

The key to the success of the "student empowerment" philosophy practiced at
WCER is that people like to learn.  Students get engaged and will seek
challenge if they have a positive self-image of themselves as capable of
surmounting challenge. Putting a lot of the challenge-management in the
hands of the learner can have very effective results.  But the teacher or
coach still has to participate to make sure the skills vocabulary is being
covered and help maintain that even strain.

Al