Re: Fw: Checkpoint 3.3

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:28:21 -0700
To: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 11:07 AM 7/16/1999 , Chris Maden wrote:
>[Robert Neff]
>>I can
>> make a web page that is accessible using HTML 3.2 and 4.

>So do this:
>p { display: block }
>--></style>

>and change your DOCTYPE to HTML 4.0 Transitional, which should handle
>most content that complies to older HTML DTDs.  Then you're all set. (-:

I know you're making a joke, and I _do_ find it amusing, but I'm
also going to use it to make a point.

Does the above make the web page any more or less accessible?  If
we are requiring changes that amount to basically the above
CSS tomfoolery, and making no actual progress toward accessibility
_on that page_, then perhaps the checkpoint needs serious
reconsideration.

"Use CSS whenever possible" is an excellent principle.  "Use CSS
whenever possible" is a really bad checkpoint requirement.