Re: Checkpoint 3.6: Big Hurdle for Double-AA/Triple-AAACompliance

From: ADAM GUASCH-MELENDEZ <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 13:31:40 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Context is critical - what is perfectly reasonable and perhaps even expected in the real world, may be something else entirely if you're dealing with the US government, as I am. More explicit language would be helpful. Anyway, the responses are appreciated, and I've got enough to make and defend my case. The EEOC web site will be at Level A by tomorrow (I think), and AA by August.

>>> Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net> 07/07 8:16 PM >>>

In defence of Adam's reading of the guideline, it starts with the positive
injunction, _Mark up quotations_.  In plain English, this clearly means "if
the text is a quotation, mark it up with BLOCKQUOTE or Q."

I agree that it is sensible to apply the "until user agents" principle here
to permit the user of "" in lieu of <Q></Q> in this case, but it takes a
language lawyer to discern this.

In other words, I think this should be treated as a case deserving a formal
interpretation (whatever the process is for those).