Re: Evaluation results: Priorities

I like your proposed additional wording. But I think it would harm the
guidelines utility if they were explicit about what is not widely
implemented - that changes too fast.

Charles McCN

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Chetz Colwell wrote:

  CMN:: = Charles McCathieNevile's comments, my comments = CC::

  CMN::
  >This is a tricky problem. If we remove P1 from things which are not
  >supported by browsers x,y and z (where x,y, and z are an ever-changing and
  >personal set, then we are compromising what is supposed to happen.

  CC::
  I don't think I was suggesting that the P1 be removed, but that authors be
  informed that what the Guidelines said they 'must' do may not be supported
  yet.  I think there may be no harm in the Guidelines being more explicit
  about the fact that some elements / attributes are not yet supported and it
  is not possible to predict if or when user agents will support them.

  CMN::
  >One of the challenges we face is getting people to understand that the
  >purpose of following these guidelines is that things they cannot see (or
  >otherwise perceive...) with their browser may be crucial for people who
  >are using a different browser.

  CC::
  Could the Guidelines state this more clearly in the introduction where
  browser support is mentioned?

  >From the Guidelines: "The current document and the Techniques Document
  refer to some technologies (e.g., features of >HTML, CSS, or SMIL) that may
  not be supported yet in some browsers, multimedia tools, etc." ...

  [insert here]
  Authors should also note that some of these technologies may not be
  supported by all browsers.  However, browsers that do not support such
  technologies will not be adversly affected by their use.  [or words to this
  affect]
  ... "Browser support for language features is discussed in the Techniques
  Document."

  Chetz