Small technical point about ALT

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:11:34 +0000 (GMT)
To: WAI Guidelines List <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

In the techniques document at

it says

 If authors cannot use style sheets and must use invisible or
 transparent images to lay out images on the page, they must
 supply"null" (alt=) or "white space" (alt=" ") alt-text, whichever
 the context requires.

Something seems to have gone wrong with the punctuation here. The lack
of white space between 'supply' and '"null"' is only cosmetic, but the
suggestion to code alt= rather than the more usual alt="" seems to be
an error; at least, when I offered this construct to the HTML
validator, it rejected it, which rather confirmed my suspicion that
something was amiss.

best regards