RE: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines

From: Cohen, Aaron M <aaron.m.cohen@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:17:28 -0800
To: "'Warner ten Kate'" <tenkate@natlab.research.philips.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>, dd@w3.org, symm@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Perhaps a list of specific do's and don't would be useful.

For example, the priority 1 problem you mention often occurs when color is
used as a referent, as in:
"Please select an item from those listed in green".

This problem is easily avoided by using additional referents or leaving out
the color referent:
"Please select an item from the 'Expensive' category, listed in green".
-or-
"Please select an item from the 'Expensive' category".

Colors as sole referents are defintely a candidate for the "don'ts". There
are probably many variations of this.

-Aaron