Re: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines

From: Warner ten Kate <tenkate@natlab.research.philips.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:59:17 +0100
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Cc: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>, dd@w3.org, symm@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> > Yes, it is hard to find something better. What about:
> >
> > - Ensure that all essential information....
> >   [this is countered as bearing a subjective value]
> > - ......coveyed with color other than enhancing the expressiveness
> >   [not sure, this is proper english]
>
> Now I understand better. I propose the following wording:
>
>     4.1 Ensure that all information conveyed with color
>         is also available without color,
>         for example from context or markup. [Priority 1]
>
>               When text has a purely decorative value
>               and conveys no information other than the color
>               itself, it is not necessary to provide that
>               information elsewhere.

I was thinking of the case where color is used to assist
ease of reading, similarly as bold, italics, and other fonts
emphasis phrases. The color is used as style of presentation.
When I print such a colored page, I loose the color information.
It reduces readability, but I don't consider that loss as a
Priority 1 issue. It depends on how well the document has been
written, of course.

It is good to make authors aware to use colors only for enhancing
their message, or otherwise take care the information is
made available in an other way.

Warner.