Re: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:41:49 -0500
To: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
CC: tenkate@natlab.research.philips.com, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, ph@w3.org, dd@w3.org
Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

> Warner ten Kate wrote:
>
> > I am not stating the guidelines are not beneficial
> > to the wider area, but I would suggest to restrict
> > the scope of the Guidelines to access by disabled people
> > more clearly (the Abstract does mention this).
> > I expect doing this will help the understanding of
> > the document and its use.
>
> I fully agree with Warner on this point.

I think the easiest will be to state up front (in the Abstract
and perhaps the Introduction) that the Guidelines have the
primary goal of promoting accessibility. If, in later rationales,
we promote general benefits alongside specific accessibility
needs, I don't think we're undermining the strength of the
document.

> > - checkpoint 5.1:
> >   I was confused by the wording "nest". I understood that as, eg,

[snip]

The question of "nesting" (i.e., no skipping levels) will be
addressed by the Working Group at the next teleconference.

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814