Re: DTD declarations

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:04:16 -0500 (EST)
To: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I have just been looking at the whole thing a bit more carefully - it
seems to me that you can either use a DOCTYPE or a namespace - if you are
going to mix bits of different XML then you use namespaces. Anyway, I
suspect it is an issue we need to sort out.

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Chris Maden wrote:

  [Charles McCathieNevile]
  > In moving from defining rules purely for HTML to rules for web
  > content in general, referring to a DTD is extremely important. (P1
  > checkpoint as soon as browsers handle XML, in my humble first rush
  > of opinion)
  > In HTML this is done by a DOCTYPE declaration. In XML, it is
  > declaring namespaces - see http://www.w3.org/TR/rec-xml-names
  In XML, this is done by DOCTYPE declarations.  Namespaces are a little
  bit different; they indicate the intended semantics of a set of
  elements, but neither indicate a data schema nor assert compliance

phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles