Re: NOFRAMES is the right way.

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:59:00 +0100
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> This reflects the priority system accurately. But the techniques document
> should strongly recommend the use of NOFRAMES. The User Agent-based
> strategy is an emergency interfce designed to solve a problem which is
> properly addressed by the page author. Although in many cases the Frames
> are used in a way which makes the repair strategy adequate, the solution
> it provides can be particularly difficult to use (just this morning I
> waded through multiple framesets to get from page A to page B via a whole
> lot of NOFRAMES elements that said I wouldn't be able to do it, and one
> which was the right idea executed badly).
>
> FRAMES, by definition, are a non-serial medium. It is possible to
> serialise the most common use - that of a navigation bar and content
> frame, reasonably easily, and with a low impact on usability. For more
> complex framesets the difficulties encoutnered by users increase rapidly
> with the increased complexity. Although the title and name can be used to
> give some clues about the structure of the FRAMESET, the NOFRAMES element
> is the best (and the 'proper') way to actually provide access to the
> structure in a serial manner by design.

It has always been my assumption that we would say something like:

  - Avoid complex FRAMESET, which is defined as: more than 4 FRAMEs,
    but if you do, use NOFRAMES.
  - In all cases, provide FRAME title/name.

This way, for most of frameset, with a scrollable TOC on the side,
some horizontal banner on the top and a content page, the UA can built
a reasonable UI, but for more complex stuff, the author has to help.