Re: Mathematics-related checkpoints

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:58:37 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Markup Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
One question that I have been considering is whether to recommend a
particular "ASCII representation" as an interim solution, and if so, which
one. TeX is the obvious starting point: it is relatively well known and,
as I understand it, largely unambiguous, but there may well be other
possibilities. What we need is a kludge that will serve as an acceptable,
albeit inadequate solution while we wait for software to be developed that
can render MathML, both visually as well as in audio and braille media.

This is definitely not my area of expertise, so perhaps I should not be
commenting on it.