Re: UA Group - Review of UA document for coordination with WCAG

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> This would basically involve comparing the current User Agent Guidelines
> against the GL Guidelines to see if check points are provided for all
> features or capabilities we would like to see in user agents.

I've already done an initial review:

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999AprJun/0150.html

> Six areas they have identified and have as points on their list (which
> aren't necessarily reflected in the current UA Guidelines are:
> #03:  Should user agents be able to recognize markup for navigation bars

Our current discussion in UAGL on this topic is about using schemas
as the proper way to identify semantic units such as navigation bars.

> #43:  Navigation and activation of elements with ACCESSKEY attributes
> defined

The 11 June draft of the UAGL [2] distinguishes activation
(checkpoint 1.3) from navigation (checkpoints 7.4 and 7.5). I think that
"accesskey" is an (HTML) implementation detail.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-USERAGENT-199990611

> #12:  Recommend full implementation of MathML

Our current proposal to address this is to have a checkpoint
that recommends support for W3C specifications where applicable,
effectively mirroring checkpoint 11.1 in WCAG 1.0. MathML is
just an example of what to implement should you be implementing
a math markup language.

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814