Re: Use META to describe conformance level of a document.

This is a bit different from the use of an icon, since it doesn't have the
icon. I think having the PICS statement means that there is a reference to
the conformance statement, which satisfies the requirement. It is, after all,
possible to make the conformance statement about a page on a piece of paper
stuck behind the door (although it might not be very useful - this is
another, more helpful way of doing that.)

Brian Kelly might be interested in this...

Charles

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

  > If we created a PICS schema that described conformance it would meet the
  > requirements for a conformance statement I think.

  Here it is:

  ((PICS-version 1.1)
   (rating-system "http://www.w3.org/WAI/wcag-conformance")
   (rating-service "http://www.w3.org/WAI")
   (icon "wcag1A")
   (name "W3C WCAG 1.0 Conformance level")
   (description "The W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0
                 (http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505)
                 Conformance level Rating System. Claim are not verified
                 by W3C. Content providers are solely responsible for
                 the use of these logos. ")

   (category  (transmit-as "c") (name "WCAG Conformance level")
    (label  (name "Level A") (value 0)
            (description "All Priority 1 checkpoints are satisfied") )
    (label  (name "Level Double-A") (value 1)
            (description "All Priority 1 and 2 checkpoints are satisfied") )
    (label  (name "Level Triple-A") (value 2)
            (description "All Priority 1, 2, and 3 checkpoints are satisfied")
  )))

  I've put the above in http://www.w3.org/wai/wcag-conformance.rat and
  people can put in their HTML page the following label (for AA level
  for instance)

  <META http-equiv="PICS-Label"
        content='(PICS-1.1 "http://www.w3.org/wai/wcag-conformance" labels
          exp "1999.12.31"  for "http://www.foo.com/foo.html"  by "jow@foo.com"
          ratings (c 1))'>

  Issue:
    - we need an icon for the rating system that's different from the
      individual icons for each conformance level (right now I've used
      the icon for level A but I would suggest using a version without A
      in it)
    - the metadata label itself (what's in the META tag) is a valid
      claim of conformance I think: it has all the information needed in
      Form 1, although for most of it you have to follow a pointer:

       The guidelines title: "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0"
       The guidelines URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505
       The conformance level satisfied: "A", "Double-A", or "Triple-A".
          From the label, you follow http://www.w3.org/wai/wcag-conformance
          which is the rating system with the description or the overall
          system and the description of what "(c 1)" means.
       The scope covered by the claim (e.g., page, site, or defined
       portion of a site.).
          PICS label can be generic ("gen true") or specific to indicate
          scope