(unknown charset) Re: techniques doc: character entity references for math symbols

My experience with Netscape4.51 is that is displays correctly a
great deal of math symbols if
 1. they are marked with decimal references
 2. in addition the page is served with charset=utf-8

I have heard rumors to this effect for other 4.x versions.

Internet explorer 5 does support (most) math symbols, both
decimal and hexadecimal, and also name entities, but with name
entities less symbols are supported.

Lynx 2.8.1 supports *all* math symbols in *all* the different
ways you can think of. This browser, however does not "support"
the FONT face bug.

My expreince in with Windows95.

A possible modification of the guidelines is to use images with
alt text according to HTML4.0, this way both Lynx and old, buggy,
and non-standard graphical browsers will display correctly.

The <FONT face> thing is not valid HTML because it attempts to
add new characters with a mechanism intended to suggest
apearance of characters.

Nir Dagan

http://www.nirdagan.com
mailto:nir@nirdagan.com
tel:+972-2-588-3143

"There is nothing quite so practical as a good theory."
-- A. Einstein